Microsoft Office Forums Header formatting...or setting?

Go Back   Microsoft Office Forums > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Luckyjim71's Avatar
Luckyjim71 Luckyjim71 is offline Header formatting...or setting? Windows 7 64bit Header formatting...or setting? Office 2010 64bit
Novice
Header formatting...or setting?
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Luckyjim71 is on a distinguished road
Default Header formatting...or setting?

Hi all,

Apologies if this has be posted previously...

Whenever I open a spreadsheet, the main header (from a separate worksheet) appears compressed (narrower) than second header on the "listing" page(s), with additional columns added to fill in the space to fit the page width - Landscape A3 (11x17).

The spreadsheet template was created by a co-worker and seems to work fine on theirs, and most of the other workstations, which makes me think it might be an obscure setting on my computer.

I know enough to get me into more strife, so I've attached the template, as it appears/prints from my workstation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards,


Jim
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Register Template.xlsx (64.5 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
gebobs gebobs is offline Header formatting...or setting? Windows 7 64bit Header formatting...or setting? Office 2010 64bit
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 832
gebobs has a spectacular aura aboutgebobs has a spectacular aura about
Default

The heading rows from the Header tab appear to have been copied and inserted as an image on the top of the Listing tab. That's sort of a kludgy design if you ask me, but maybe there's a reason for doing it this way.

So what exactly is the problem? Is it that this image on the Listing tab does not span the entire width of the fill columns beneath it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Luckyjim71's Avatar
Luckyjim71 Luckyjim71 is offline Header formatting...or setting? Windows 7 64bit Header formatting...or setting? Office 2010 64bit
Novice
Header formatting...or setting?
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Luckyjim71 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
The heading rows from the Header tab appear to have been copied and inserted as an image on the top of the Listing tab. That's sort of a kludgy design if you ask me, but maybe there's a reason for doing it this way.

So what exactly is the problem? Is it that this image on the Listing tab does not span the entire width of the fill columns beneath it?
Yes, that is the problem. It only seems to be occurring on my workstation though...maybe 1 or 2 others.

I agree with the design, waaaay too convoluted; just trying to make due with what I've been asked to use.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 AM
gebobs gebobs is offline Header formatting...or setting? Windows 7 64bit Header formatting...or setting? Office 2010 64bit
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 832
gebobs has a spectacular aura aboutgebobs has a spectacular aura about
Default

Of course, you can size the image to whatever you want.

What is the purpose of having the Heading tab and copying it as an image? Is it because the columns of the heading rows don't align with the columns beneath? If so, a little creative merging would solve that problem.

Are the columns within the heading to be above specific columns below or are they essentially independent? For example, are the cells Rev, Date, Description, By, Checked, and Approved in the heading associated with the cells above them or below?

Are the few columns to the right (AREA, TAG, SEQ, ALPHA) that are not within the borders to be shown on the printed document (i.e. are they to be under the heading as well) or are they to be kept off to the side?

Does it matter if your template diverges from the design of the template that others use?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Luckyjim71's Avatar
Luckyjim71 Luckyjim71 is offline Header formatting...or setting? Windows 7 64bit Header formatting...or setting? Office 2010 64bit
Novice
Header formatting...or setting?
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Luckyjim71 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
Of course, you can size the image to whatever you want.

I'd like to eliminate the need for having the header copied as an image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
What is the purpose of having the Heading tab and copying it as an image? Is it because the columns of the heading rows don't align with the columns beneath? If so, a little creative merging would solve that problem.
To be honest, I'm not entirely certain of the reason for having a Heading tab. I'd guess that it is because of the row/column alignment...or lack of creativity on the part of the creator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
Are the columns within the heading to be above specific columns below or are they essentially independent? For example, are the cells Rev, Date, Description, By, Checked, and Approved in the heading associated with the cells above them or below?

Nope, no association at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
Are the few columns to the right (AREA, TAG, SEQ, ALPHA) that are not within the borders to be shown on the printed document (i.e. are they to be under the heading as well) or are they to be kept off to the side?

As I understand (keeping in mind that I know enough about Excel to get me into more strife ), those columns are used to assign unique, sequential numbers to assets in different areas. For example one area might have 2-3 dams, each with 2-5 cells (bays). While another area might have 5-6 dams with only 1-2 cells (bays), and so on. Each dam is assigned with an AREA, TAG, SEQ (3200-DAM-0001, 4800-DAM-0001, 4800-DAM-0002,etc.), multiple cells within a dam receive an "ALPHA" tag (4800-DAM-0001A, 4800-DAM-0001B, etc.) Hence, they are to be kept off to the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
Does it matter if your template diverges from the design of the template that others use?

No it doesn't really matter. I wanted to keep the overall "look" the same, and being an Excel noob I was happy to use the "suggested" template.

Being eager to learn, I might apply some "creativity" to creating a more usable header that works for me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 PM
gebobs gebobs is offline Header formatting...or setting? Windows 7 64bit Header formatting...or setting? Office 2010 64bit
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 832
gebobs has a spectacular aura aboutgebobs has a spectacular aura about
Default

OK, then creative merging is what this calls for.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Header formatting...or setting? Setting formatting for field with email hyperlink JenK Excel 2 02-13-2014 10:38 PM
Header formatting...or setting? Correcting faulty header formatting druttenbeostare Word 2 07-02-2013 05:41 AM
Header formatting...or setting? Section Break changes formatting on next Header 1 Eastendr Word 1 01-21-2013 05:57 AM
Copy formatting setting between images on the slide pogonoforysci1 PowerPoint 11 08-10-2012 03:54 AM
Header formatting...or setting? Header screwing up formatting Greg101 Word 1 01-26-2012 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
MSOfficeForums.com is not affiliated with Microsoft