Microsoft Office Forums Concerning sound settings...

Go Back   Microsoft Office Forums > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Starscream Starscream is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2007
Novice
Concerning sound settings...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Starscream is on a distinguished road
Default Concerning sound settings...

Hello.

I have a question. I am currently making a presentation for my Biology class, and I am obligated to make a few questions at the end. Now, I have made the questions, and hyperlinked them all to the appropriate slide which will tell whether the answer was correct or incorrect. All correct answers are hyperlinked to a single slide that will come up if you answer correctly. All incorrect answers are hyperlinked to a single slide if you answer incorrectly.

The thing is, I have put the belonging sound on each one of those 2 slides, but they only play when I come to a slide for the first time, if I click on an answer that will lead me to a slide after one question leading to that slide was already answered, the sound will not play.



So my question is, how do I set the sound file to play again when I navigate to that slide (via hyperlinks, of course).

Thank you in forward.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM
GeoPro GeoPro is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2010 32bit
Novice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
GeoPro is on a distinguished road
Default Add sound to hyperlink

Hello Starscream,

Here's a way to accomplish what you're after, I believe...good for PPT 2007 & 2010 for sure.

Add the sound to the hyperlinked button (answer), instead of placing the sound on the slide the hyperlink points to.

The steps:
  • Right-click your hyperlinked button/text/etc., and choose Edit Hyperlink in the pop-up menu.
  • In the Action Settings window, click the "Hyperlink to:" option in the "Action on click" section and use the drop-down to select the slide you want to jump to when the item is clicked.
  • Then check the box at the bottom to "Play sound", and choose the appropriate sound file.
  • Click OK.
Now whenever the answer is clicked, the sound will play as the hyperlink takes you to the target slide.

I hope that helps...good luck on the project.
George
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Starscream Starscream is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2007
Novice
Concerning sound settings...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Starscream is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPro View Post
Hello Starscream,

Here's a way to accomplish what you're after, I believe...good for PPT 2007 & 2010 for sure.

Add the sound to the hyperlinked button (answer), instead of placing the sound on the slide the hyperlink points to.

The steps:
  • Right-click your hyperlinked button/text/etc., and choose Edit Hyperlink in the pop-up menu.
  • In the Action Settings window, click the "Hyperlink to:" option in the "Action on click" section and use the drop-down to select the slide you want to jump to when the item is clicked.
  • Then check the box at the bottom to "Play sound", and choose the appropriate sound file.
  • Click OK.
Now whenever the answer is clicked, the sound will play as the hyperlink takes you to the target slide.

I hope that helps...good luck on the project.
George
Um, I know on what window you mean, but when I click on edit Hyperlink I get his window (don't mind the text on the slide, it's Croatian)
Capture.PNG
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:20 PM
GeoPro GeoPro is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2010 32bit
Novice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
GeoPro is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Um, I know on what window you mean, but when I click on edit Hyperlink I get his window (don't mind the text on the slide, it's Croatian)
Attachment 618
Oh, I see. In my test I was using an "Action Button" instead of text or some other object. Regular objects, text, and so on do in fact bring up the Edit Hyperlink window you show. So, here's a way to still accomplish what you want...based on my original reply.

Steps:
  • On a slide, click the Insert tab, select Shapes, and in the Action Buttons section...click Action Button: Custom.
  • The Action Settings window opens...set the "Hyperlink to:" and "Play sound" options as I described earlier and click OK.
  • Size it and place it to cover whatever someone would click when selecting the correct answer.
  • Right-click it and select Format Shape.
  • In the Format Shape window, choose Fill on the left and to the right, set the Transparency to 100%.
  • Select Line Color in the left, and choose No Line in the right...then click Close.
At this point you have a transparent Action Button over the correct answer that will jump to another slide, playing a sound at the same time.

Notes:
  • Make sure you name the new transparent button in the Selection Pane so it's easy to keep track of.
  • Make sure you always use the "Bring to Front" option in the Format tab's Arrange group when the button is selected.
  • Copy and paste it over every correct answer on every slide, adjusting the size if necessary.
  • Do the same for the incorrect answers with a new button, created the same way.
Try that and see if it works for you. Good luck.
George
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Starscream Starscream is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2007
Novice
Concerning sound settings...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Starscream is on a distinguished road
Default

Perfect ! Thank you so much, I've been trying to think of a way to do this for ages!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Starscream Starscream is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2007
Novice
Concerning sound settings...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Starscream is on a distinguished road
Default

Oh god, it seems it is too soon to be jolly -.-. When I assign the sound in the preferences for the action button, it doesn't play while in the slideshow!! It takes me to the desired slide but doesn't play the sound...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Starscream Starscream is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2007
Novice
Concerning sound settings...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Starscream is on a distinguished road
Default

Hmm....

I formerly inserted the sound in the slide itself, but it played only for the first time, and not if I answered correctly to the other answers, as I mentioned before.

Does anyone know a way which will enable me to force the sound play every time I come to that slide?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
GeoPro GeoPro is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2010 32bit
Novice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
GeoPro is on a distinguished road
Default

My earlier posts were tested using the built-in sounds in the Action Settings' "Play sound:" drop down.

This time I tried this and it worked.
  • Recorded a 1.5 second voice file in Audacity and exported it to my desktop as a wav file (120 KB).
  • Chose this file in the Actions Settings windows.
  • When the slide my hyperlink points to had a sound assigned to it, my custom sound didn't play when I clicked the link in the Slideshow.
  • When I removed the sound from the target slide and retested the hyperlink, it played the sound fine.
So check to make sure you don't have a sound set to play in the target slide and try it. You might also want to have the hyperlink sound be as small a sound file as possible...to make sure there is no lag in trying to load/play the sound.

Let me know what happens.
George
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Starscream Starscream is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2007
Novice
Concerning sound settings...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Starscream is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPro View Post
My earlier posts were tested using the built-in sounds in the Action Settings' "Play sound:" drop down.

This time I tried this and it worked.
  • Recorded a 1.5 second voice file in Audacity and exported it to my desktop as a wav file (120 KB).
  • Chose this file in the Actions Settings windows.
  • When the slide my hyperlink points to had a sound assigned to it, my custom sound didn't play when I clicked the link in the Slideshow.
  • When I removed the sound from the target slide and retested the hyperlink, it played the sound fine.
So check to make sure you don't have a sound set to play in the target slide and try it. You might also want to have the hyperlink sound be as small a sound file as possible...to make sure there is no lag in trying to load/play the sound.

Let me know what happens.
George
Tried that too :S, not even the built-in sounds play.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-2011, 03:49 PM
GeoPro GeoPro is offline Concerning sound settings... Windows 7 32bit Concerning sound settings... Office 2010 32bit
Novice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
GeoPro is on a distinguished road
Default

Here's another option to try...that's even easier than my last suggestion. Hopefully this will work for you.

First disable all other sounds associated with the hyperlinks or placed in the target page.

Now, assign a Transition Sound to the target slide. You can do so in the Animations tab.

When I tested this, it played my custom sound every time I jumped to the target slide, regardless of where I came from.

Let me know if it works for you. Good luck.
George

(By the way, if you can't get sounds to play in any fashion in PowerPoint, I'd check the basics...speaker power and connections, sound settings and mappings on my pc, etc. Make sure sound is playing properly from your system...then try to narrow it down from there. Is it only related to PowerPoint, or other apps as well...stuff like that.

Last edited by GeoPro; 03-08-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sound problem repeat

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sound Maureenbool PowerPoint 1 11-06-2010 10:35 PM
Sound Recording stilts77 PowerPoint 0 03-13-2010 03:25 AM
Adding Sound harkawy PowerPoint 0 02-22-2010 04:52 PM
continuous sound boutells PowerPoint 2 11-27-2009 12:06 AM
no sound icon amosspector PowerPoint 0 08-29-2009 02:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
MSOfficeForums.com is not affiliated with Microsoft