View Single Post

Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 AM
basketcase basketcase is offline Windows Vista Office 2003
Novice

basketcase is on a distinguished road
Default First post -- Outlook 2003 dilemma

Nice place you all have here ... I found it through a Google search.

To my problem --

I have just bought a used Lenovo ThinkPad SL300 running on XP Pro.

It is an office/work unit that was briefly assigned to a guy who later decided he wanted a Mac. He had the Lenovo about a month and turned it in. After that it sat on the shelf in an equipment closet for nearly a year. I'm leaving the company and found out it was there and made them an offer on it. The hardware is decent and the deal included a full set of MS Office 2003 which made for a sweet deal. However, I have a MS Office Pro 2003 Outlook issue to resolve. That issue showed up when I transferred my Contacts (pst file format) from my home computer to the laptop.

Here are the hardware notes as helpful.

- Home desktop: Vista Home Premium based PC with MS Office Professional 2003 installed (everything works fine).

- Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad: XP Pro (SP3) with MS Office 2003 installed.

From the home desktop I used File/Export/Personal Folder File (pst) to export my Contacts and Calendar data and then did a typical copy of those two files onto a flash drive to move them to the laptop.

The Calendar info Imported into Outlook on the laptop with no problems.

After I imported my contacts I looked and they show up when I click on Contacts.

However, when I click New to draft a new email and then click TO to choose a recipient, the selection window opens and is empty -- not a contact to be seen.

No contacts - where are the contacts?

I figured it would be a file location issue so I started chasing down the Contacts Folder properties. When I open folder properties and click the tab for Outlook Address Book the check box and folder name are grayed out. IOW, I can't choose the Contacts in the folder for email purposes. (Photo appears below).

Any insight into this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Last edited by basketcase; 09-03-2010 at 05:10 AM. Reason: clerity, grammer, and speelin'