View Single Post

Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 PM
antoniod antoniod is offline Mac OS X Office 2016
Novice

antoniod is on a distinguished road
Smile How to print OneNote 2016 for Mac pages to fit on 8.5 x 11 inch paper

Hello Dear Reader --

I have been a Microsoft Customer since before there was even Microsoft Windows. *I have been a Microsoft Office Suite user since at least Office '97. *About 15 years ago, I discovered what I consider to be Microsoft's 'hidden gem': *Microsoft OneNote. *[The reason I use the term 'hidden gem' is because, until recently, it has not been heavily advertised or promoted by Microsoft, but it is the most delightful application to work with, second only to Microsoft Word.]

Despite Microsoft’s attempts to keep abreast of the Operating System marketplace, I finally had enough of using Microsoft Windows when I spent over $1,500 to purchase a new ‘convertible’ ASUS Transformer Book, which was equipped with Windows 8. *

One of the reasons that I purchased this particular PC was so that I could use it as a tablet device, like my iPad. *However, I was very, very dismayed when the new OS did not support even my little fingers opening and closing documents. *Microsoft had made no attempt whatsoever to make it’s applications and OS touch and finger friendly.

Secondary to this, I had a roommate who moved in and she owned a Mac. *It was having some problems and, despite my trying, I could not help her with it. *So, we took it to the local Apple Store and they happily checked it out and informed us that it was too old to run the latest Mac OS, but that they had brought it as far to being current as they could.

They treated this 10 year old Macbook like it was a brand new, $3,000 iMac and they treated us like we were royalty. *It was at this point that I decided that my next computer would be a Mac.

Long story short, my Partner saved up the money (about $3,000) and purchased for my birthday the latest iMac. *[I specced it out with a Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and a 3 TB ‘Fusion Drive’, which has a portion that is solid state to speed up the overall operation of the iMac.]

I thought that working with Office on Mac would be a ‘piece of cake’, since there was an Office version that had been recently released for the Mac OS. *Needless to say, I recently discovered that this is definitely NOT the case!

When I printed my OneNote pages from my Microsoft Windows PC, which I opened every time from a custom template that I had customized from a Microsoft OneNote Template, with my logo added, they would usually print correctly on 8.5 x 11 inch paper and, should I have used a slightly larger font, it was very easy to either shrink them to fit the page, or reduce the size by a certain percentage to make the page fit 8.5 x 11 inch paper.

Flash forward to just a week or so ago, and despite the fact that I installed the latest version of Office for Mac [2016], with the latest version of OneNote, the printed pages would not FIT on 8.5 x 11 inch paper AND the OneNote software actually enlarged them a bit so that it would print the right hand side of the page on a second sheet of paper.*

I called every technical support line that I could, from my Epson Printer, which is the same printer that I used with my Microsoft Windows PC, to Microsoft and then back to AppleCare. *

When I spoke to a Senior Advisor at AppleCare, he tried and tried to get my OneNote pages to print correctly and he even said that he enjoyed the challenge and my problem got his vote for best question of the day. *Nevertheless, he could not rectify the problem and suggested that, perhaps, if I installed a Virtual Machine software on my iMac and then ran Windows 10 on that with the latest version of Office installed there, it just MIGHT print my OneNote pages correctly and / or give me the option to ‘reduce them to fit the paper size’.

Well, after researching VM ware and deciding to use Parallels, and installing the trial for that, and then getting my Windows 10 from my old laptop and installing that into Parallels, I was optimistic that my OneNote pages would finally be able to print on my 8.5 x 11 inch paper size. *
Needless to say, the printer options were NOT available as they were on my MS Windows laptop convertible, so I could not get my OneNote pages to fit on the paper, despite the fact that they were created from the exact same template which printed fine on my MS Windows PC!

I would very much appreciate any knowledge that you can offer which might help me solve this issue! *Thank you for your kindest consideration of my question.

Best regards,

~AntonioD