View Single Post

Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 PM
nrjank nrjank is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

nrjank is on a distinguished road
Default not impossible, just use an old version of Word...

This appears to be a change (I'll say a regression) in either 2010 or 2013 unless someone can show me how to fix it. I have a document written in 2011 using Word 2007. It does exactly what the original post requested, and is typical scientific journal format. The endnotes continue the 2-column body of text.

I just opened the docx in Word 2013, and it displayed as expected. I did a Save As and immediately it reverted to the behavior I can't seem to change. Word balances the columns up to the endnotes, then puts the endnotes in it's own 2 column section after that. I attached 2 images showing the before and after. Note that the References heading is in the main body, after which the endnotes appeared (separators were deleted)

So, I don't mind it balancing the endnotes that move onto a new page, but I need the endnotes to be part of the main balancing. Do I have to go back to manual fields and cross-refs? I recognized they've made a number of layout improvements on the backend, so I'm not overly upset that it didn't hold compatibility, but I would like to know the process to get that layout, or something equivalent, back.
Attached Images
File Type: png Word2010_correctbehavior.PNG (90.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png SavedInWord2013_badbehavior.PNG (86.0 KB, 25 views)