View Single Post

Old 01-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Magnus_N Magnus_N is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Magnus_N is on a distinguished road
Default Word 2016 does not recognise Excel object

I have a new pc running Windows 10 and Office 2016 (32 bit). The following problem is driving me mad:

Since 1999 I have used invoices made in Word with an Excel spreadsheet object embedded. I enter the items to be invoiced in the Excel object, which has always been editable by double-clicking the object and opening it.

On the new computer this doesn't work. From the start, double-clicking the Excel object did nothing. I found that by right-clicking the embedded object I got a menu where I could convert the Excel 2003 object into Excel 2016 format. After that I could open it and edit it, as usual.

Until today, when all the Word invoices that I had converted as per above suddenly will not open and are not even recognised as Excel objects nymnore. Double-clicking the object I get a message to the effect that "the server application, source file, or item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed and that it has not been deleted, moved, renamed, or blocked by policy."

When I right-click the object, it is no longer recognised as an Excel object. Instead it is referred to as "Unknown object". The only conversion option now is to convert it to "Unknown object".

I have tried making a new (Excel 2016) spreadsheet and inserting it instead of my old invoice spreadsheet. This gets the same result as the old one.

I have searched the internet without finding a useful solution and am at my wit's end.

Any help would be much appreciated since this is driving me crazy.

/Magnus