View Single Post

Old 01-25-2016, 04:35 AM
Soundstorm Soundstorm is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

Soundstorm is on a distinguished road
Default Resource availability graph

Hi all

I'm quite new to Project, but have used it for simple things in the past, so finding all features isn't that hard.

I do have an issue I can't seem to find a solution for. Let me sketch our situation.

In our organisation, we have 3 types of projects/tasks:
1. long therm projects (~1 year of work)
2. short therm project (few days work, only a couple of people involved)
3. repair projects

The first type is actually the only type we can plan in advance. The 2 others (especially the last one) mostly have a higher priority, and are announced only a few days/weeks in before their deadline. For that reason, we don't use full time workload when we are planning the long therm projects.
Depending on the type of resource, we specify between 25% and 75% workload, and also take that into account when specifying the duration of the tasks within the project.

When we receive new short therm and repair projects, we would like to have an overview of when we have resources available. That way we can see were a certain resource still has workload available to perform that task.
For example:
The long therm project has a task(1) with a duration of 2 weeks, 2 resources working on it, one at 50%, the other at 25%.
We receive a task(2) that will take 2 days to complete by 1 resource. It has to be done in week 2 by one of the resources working on the task in the long term project.
We also receive a task(3) that will take 0.5 day and needs both resources. It also has to be done in week 2.
We would then need to have an overview that shows a calendar/graph of all resources in week 2. This would then show that resource 1 is 50% available, and resource 2 is 75% available.

We then have a choice of how we can assign the resources to these 2 new tasks.
A: Resource 1 does task(3), resource 2 does task(2) and task(3).
B: Resource 1 does task(2) and task(3). Leaving resource 2 available for other unexpected work.

To make these decisions, we need to have an overview of all resources. It should also show the availability, not their workload in the long therm project.

Is something like this possible?

Cheers
Tom