View Single Post

Old 12-16-2015, 04:28 AM
BarryB BarryB is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

BarryB is on a distinguished road
Default MS Project - Overview Report % Complete

Hi all,

I'm having problems with understanding MS Project reports and I'm hoping someone from the forum can help dig me out of a hole!?

I have a project schedule which I use to track progress of a project and would like to use the reports (specifically the Project Overview Report) to update management on progress. Nothing out of the ordinary there!

I have set a baseline on my project plan and have carried out a 'trial run' of the schedule and reporting where I set an artificial project start date then update the project plan with some artificial data and then view the Project Overview report. However, when I simulate this a couple of weird things happen.

Firstly, if tasks are finishing later than Baseline Finish (by completing the Actual Finish column in the schedule) the Finish Variance doesn't seem accurate (see attachment). The Finish Variance table in the report (showing 6hrs) doesn't replicate the data in the Finish Variance column of the schedule.

How is this calculate and how can I correctly show Finish Variance in the report?

Secondly, the % Complete is way off (please see attachments). Despite having only completed approximately 25% of the overall project, the report indicates the project is 50% complete.

Again, how is this calculated? Have I done something wrong?

I would like to show two key pieces of information.

1. The overall % complete for the project
2. The number of hours behind/ahead of the baseline schedule by using Finish Variance.

How can I represent this more accurately?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Kind regards
Barry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kraken DC3 Schedule example.pdf (227.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf Kraken DC3 Report Example.pdf (37.8 KB, 15 views)