View Single Post

Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 PM
AndyS AndyS is offline Mac OS X Office for Mac 2011
Novice

AndyS is on a distinguished road

Ah! I was confused, I thought you were talking about a 'DATABASE' field in EXCEL!!

Yes, in WORD for Mac there are no 'Quick parts' but one can insert a DATABASE field with Insert -> Field -> Mailmerge -> Database.

I guess you are suggesting I create the Exhibitions table to look like a database (even in EXCEL?), then from the Mailmerge master document use a DATABASE field with an SQL query to generate the list of exhibitions for each Object? Can I use Object_id , the key to the record in the Mailmerge Object table, as a parameter in the query?

The SQL query would then do "Get me a table of all the exhibitions belonging to this object"?
I see there are some table formatting options in the field, but it is going to take some experimentation to get it right.

This does look like it might be a bit complicated for my relatively small application (119 records). What do you think of my suggestion in the previous post, to use intermediate mini-documents, themselves created by a mail merge with a bit of VBA to control the loop that creates an Exhibitions mini-document for each Object? I think this might give me more flexibility on formatting?