View Single Post

Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 PM
AndyS AndyS is offline Mac OS X Office for Mac 2011
Novice

AndyS is on a distinguished road

Mmm. Thanks for confirming my understanding so far.

I can handle SQL, but I am not sure what you mean by a DATABASE field, or how it will help me? Do you mean the Get external data from a database feature? If so, then I also need to instal an ODBC driver and have not yet found a compatible one.

I have an idea that might move me forward, but still insufficient detail to implement. I could:
  1. Create a (non-relational) Object-Exhibitions table with Object_id in the first column, repeated for each exhibition that applies to that object, followed by fields with the exhibition details. (Let's suppose I can get the list of locations in there somehow).
  2. Run a Mailmerge on that table in such a way that a separate little WORD document is created each time the Object_id changes; so each of these mini-documents contains the formatted list of exhibitions for one object, and is named with the Object_id.
  3. Run a second "Master" Mailmerge on the Object table (if necessary in a separate workbook) that picks up all the basic object data fields (Name, Materials, Size etc) and includes for each Object the corresponding Exhibitions WORD (sub-) document, identified by the Object_id, that was produced by the previous Mailmerge.
The only problem is I do not know exactly how to do step 2; though I read somewhere that it should be possible. What do you think?