View Single Post

Old 11-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Andrew H Andrew H is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Advanced Beginner

Andrew H is on a distinguished road
Default Repeat Header Row of Table at Top of Each Page - Complex Tables

I am choosing to present information in a single table that runs over multiple pages and I would like the "heading row" to automatically appear as the first row on each page. I think this is easy to do if the internal structure of the table (number of columns) remains consistent. But that is not the case for me. Please allow me to illustrate. Suppose for some reason I want to use one single table to present (1) the names of baseball teams and the names of the starting 9 players; and (2) the names of basketball teams and the names of the starting 5 players.

So I might start with 100 rows split into 10 columns for a set of 100 baseball teams requiring 10 labeled columns (team name + 9 player positions), then have a list of 100 basketball teams requiring 6 labeled columns (team name + 5 player positions). And so on, alternately having stretches of the one big table with 10 columns and then 6 columns. As I transition from page N to page N+1, I would like Word to "remember" whether I am in the middle of a baseball team list or a basketball team list, and automatically reproduce the appropriate header row.

Hope that's clear.

I suspect the simplest thing is to have multiple tables.