View Single Post

Old 10-02-2015, 01:25 PM
DrCarl DrCarl is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Novice

DrCarl is on a distinguished road
Default Make OL 2007 deliver email to existing data file on another drive

Please help, I am so confused...

I have Outlook 2007 SP-3 (OL) on my Win7x64 system. I recently changed from POP to IMAP.

I want OL to deliver mail to a data file on my "R:\" drive NOT on “C:\”

I happened to notice my free space on my tiny (80 GB SSD) “C:\” was shrinking!

I need to keep as much as I can off of "C:\" and onto other drives.
With WinDirStat, I looked at “C:\” and, I see two giant PST files, one each for each of my two email accounts. Years ago, I set my active OL data files to reside inside a folder on my “D:\” drive. I copied those to my new folder, and changed the original files’ extensions to OLD (they are resting on "D:\" right now).

When I changed over from POP to IMAP, I added two email accounts. I suspect that the ever-growing C:\...PST files (that have these two email addresses in the file name) were created then. I only need one gmail account (since I have one forwarding to the main one)

I know I have some work to do since I have not archived or compressed anything in OL in years.

Still, my current priority is getting OL to direct mail to my preferred drive, “R:\” not “C:\”

Here are the two paths/files. I’m not even sure why I need them... (OL probably does, for IMAP?)

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outloo[MyEmail-1]@gmail.com (6)-0000000d.pst
C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outloo[MyEmail-2]@gmail.com (6)-0000000c.pst

They are marked by Windows as “AI” (Archive & Indexed)

I have copied my PST files to the drive I want them on. I have removed all email accounts from outlook and tried too many times to add one back. I believe that if I can succeed with one, I can direct OL to the archives and other PSTs.

When I add my one main Gmail account, under the Account Settings dialog box, Mail tab, it advises that “Selected e-mail account delivers new e-mail messages to the following location:
[myemail]@gmail.com\Inbox in data file C:\Users\[Name]...\Outlook\Outloo[email name]@gmail.com-00000002.pst
How can I get OL to store data on another drive? Some online help refers to a “change” button on this E-mail tab. There is a Change button on the RSS tab, but not on the E-Mail tab. I have tried too many things for too many hours.

Currently, I have OL successfully pointing to a couple of PSTs (an Archive I made long ago and a Personal Folder), and have NO email installed.

I would really like to install my main gmail account and have new mail keep adding to the Personal Folders I have been using for years, and not have to add a new set of folders, yet I will put up with a new folder tree if I have to.

Regardless, getting data off of C is the main priority.

What shall I do?

TIA

DrCarl