View Single Post

Old 09-24-2015, 02:38 AM
RoundSound RoundSound is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

RoundSound is on a distinguished road

It's actually all OK now. I am a newbie with Windows 7 and also very rusty since I used to be employed using Windows XP, but eventually I did find the little box to show 'more restore points' and then it worked to go back to 9/4 when there was an automatic restore point. Office 2013 worked OK immediately as soon as I did that, and then I went to Windows Update or System Update or what it's called, and got the OS updates that I'd rolled back.

So from what I read in the logs I'd guess it broke when it blue screened during a system update.

The sticker on the top of the computer is too small. They could make it in larger print in case an oldish person is trying to read it. I would have known much sooner that it was purchased 2014 April, and not in 2010 which was the first guess I was given.

The people in the chat were incorrect to insist the problem was the license key. I was initially asking for a license key 'cause I'm not current with how Office installs, not having done any corporate IT for over a decade. I suggest they should change their approach a little bit. I'm sure I asked what I should do, and they started telling me there was never any license key on that machine.

You folks were incorrect when you suggested the install was not legit. All it needed was a system restore .... you guys did not do a great job for me in this case, and you acted impatient to me. So I am not extremely happy with that, and I hope you will do a little better next time.

Thanks for your service, we got it fixed, eventually! And MS basically did work, it's just basically hard to figure out, and probably tilted a little too much towards paranoid, and a little far away from being helpful. It could have diagnosed itself better than that.

I'm sure i made it worse by presuming I needed a license key to reinstall it. Since I presumed that would be the solution I made it harder for everyone to get around to finding the correct solution. I did try to shift the conversation to fixing the corrupt install (that was another keyword) but apparently several of us were fixated on the license key issue, so that slowed us down. I'm sure I made it worse by saying it was from 2010 or 2012 when it was bought direct from Dell in 2014. (I don't know why you guys invented the idea that we didn't buy it direct from Dell, 'cause we did.)

MS seems designed to take my bosses' money. It's easy to find out I can get a new license for $399, not easy to find out I can get a replacement license from Dell for $154. I was told repeatedly that my license was nonexistent or bogus, when in fact it was just a corrupted installation. The OS itself was happy to just give me an error message and stop, but some diagnostic software or other could have figured out what happened by looking at the license key and the history of updates, if it had been looking for the right kind of pattern.

I'm sure you have a lot of work to do and all, and I didn't pay you extra for answering, so I can't really expect a whole lot here. Thanks for sticking with the process and all.

You gave me the right answer recently, and also above, so that is great.

You didn't have to answer every time I wrote something - some of the comments I added were just to document.

I'm glad it got fixed eventually - Office 2013 is working fine now.