View Single Post

Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Cody Cody is offline Mac OS X Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
Novice

Cody is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Embedded Excel Graphs - Custom Formatting

My question involves the interaction between MS Word 2008 for Mac and MS Word 2010 for Windows, as well as Excel (same versions/issues). All files are xml.

First, when embedding a line graph from Excel into Word (on MacOSX, Office 2008), I've changed the formatting of the fonts (both size and kind) on the axes and data labels etc.; I've also removed the legend and done some other tweaks. Now, whenever I save the word doc and reopen it on the same machine, all of my custom formatting remains, EXCEPT that the data labels revert to their native format.

To be clear, I've changed (on MacOSX, Office 2008), by:

Formatting Data Labels... --> Font (then, Font changed, Font size changed) --> Number --> edit decimal places AND uncheck "LINKED TO SOURCE"

Despite this, the data labels only always revert to Cambria and the number of decimal places always changes back (the axes/titles remain unchanged).

What is going on?

Also of note, in the Excel file, where the graph came from, Cambria was not the font anyway, so is this Word over-ridding Excel for font, and Excel over-ridding word for number of decimal places? And I changed the number of decimal places (in Word) on the axes but these remain as I formatted them, only the data labels change.

Know to, that I have an embed bar graph, from the same Excel file in the same Word file, formatted it in the exact same way, and it maintains its custom formatting. The line graph changes but the bar graph does not.

Secondly, and far more disturbing, in spite of ANY custom settings I apply in Excel or Word 2008, when they are opened in Office 2010 on a Windows machine, they look completely different and are illegible as a result. This applies to embed graphs in Word, a graph in Excel under its own tab, or a graph overlaid on the sheet that shares its data. I.E., it will add back in legends, remove minor grid lines, change the data labels (they may disappear), colors can be different (not just in "shade" but green --> blue), titles become HUGE, fonts revert back to Cambria (worst font in the history of man) etc etc etc.

How can I force Word/Excel to accept my changes to the formatting between versions and between machines?

(all files are xml)