View Single Post

Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
machine elf machine elf is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Novice

machine elf is on a distinguished road
Default My Outlook 2010 is using the OST file format - help?

Currently running MS Win7, 64-bit, with MS Office 2010 64-bit.

I'm getting warnings from Outlook 2010 that my email folder is bumping up against the size limit. Apparently it's using the OST file format, which may be because I was using an older version of Outlook prior to installing 2010.

I've been Googling for instructions on how to solve this, but I can't make sense of it all. I tried going into the registry to just directly increase the OST file size limit, but I couldn't find the right keys to edit; the instructions said I could make new keys if none existed, but I couldn't even find the folders that those keys were supposed to be in. Something about my configuration isn't matching what the instructions claimed I was supposed to be seeing.

I've seen other instructions that say I can just export my folders to a *.PST file implying that the problem is solved. I've been regularly exporting to a *.PST file for backup purposes for quite a while now - but this just makes a backup *.PST file, and does nothing to change the format of the file that Outlook is using for its main email storage.

Getting frustrated chasing my tail here. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get my install of Outlook 2010 to switch over to using a *.PST file like it's supposed to?

Thanks for any suggestions...