View Single Post

Old 08-12-2015, 07:01 AM
namedujour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
You can assign keyboard shortcuts to your macros. I especially like the two-stage ones. With those, you would press something like Ctrl+Alt+M followed by another character. With this you could assign 1-0 and a-z as the continuation characters and have access to 36 macros through the Ctrl+Alt+M key combination.

Keyboard shortcuts are even more efficient than QAT icons since they require no mouse action. Remember to store them in the same template that holds the macros. Note, I do not recommend storing macros in the normal template but rather in a separate Global Template.
I have literally dozens of macros. The icons sort them visually in hierarchy order on my toolbar, so short keys would drive me nuts, trying to remember them. But I'm already beginning to think of numeric patterns I can assign to the shortcuts, so that might be a doable solution. Thanks!

However, I would like to add to your comment about global macros for anyone else reading this: KEEP A CURRENT BACKUP of your normal.dotm file, and KEEP IT IN MULTIPLE PLACES. I saved mine to the shared drive, which our IT department cleared out by accident (ye gods). I was able to recover most of my files, but forgot about my normal.dotm. Then I heard about the upgrade to Word 2013, which prompted me to try and quickly save my latest version. Alas, I was too late. The upgrade had already overwritten it. The most recent version I could find was from October 2014.

Let that be a lesson to us all.