View Single Post

Old 06-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Brandi Brandi is offline Windows XP Office 2003
Novice

Brandi is on a distinguished road

OK. Maybe I am not understanding the capabilities of Mail Merge. My application is to create legal documents that draw data from an Access database. The access database creates a table (with one record in it) that is the data source for my mail merge document. My users need to modify the document and save it as a Word doc.
The next time they want to print the document the information in the linked table will have changed.

I was hoping that the Merge to New Document command would create a document that could be saved and not continue to ask for the link to the data source.

When I am opening my template manually, I get a message about "opening this document will run the following SQL command" as I would expect as it is linking to the data source. When I open the template via a recorded macro, I do not get this message and instead "requested data source is not available".

If I open the template manually, and the document is linked to the data source and then I choose Merge to New Document, current record, I want to be able to save that document and no longer have it request a link to the data source. If I can't do this, I don't know where to turn next. The data source will constantly be changing. I want to be able to open the mail merge document and save it with the source at that point in time and break the link so that the user can save the information as a normal document.

Is this possible?

Thank you so much for your help.
Brandi