View Single Post

Old 04-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Pstloui Pstloui is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

Pstloui is on a distinguished road
Default Excel 2010 Find NOT Working

Hi Pecoflyer, I had to strip out most of the data to be in compliance with the file upload size limitation, but I think there is enough left for you to see what's going on. The next to the last row is where control-find would not locate the second occurrence of 'DWANA GRACE-PRUITT'. I have also deleted quite a bit of info to make this as generic as possible.

What we have here is a GIGO situation where the system has no established data entry integrity constraints. Approximately 60,000 records wherein it is my task to identify duplicate businesses and names. Stripping out all special characters, I created a compkey that pretty much did that for business name, however, I did not have that luxury for contacts. You will see names entered in no particular order, including/excluding periods, commas, initials, prefix, suffix, etc. (a true mess). I used color coding to help me identify where I was as I worked my way through.

I didn't see any imbedded special characters when reviewing in Notepad, but I am not perfect and it is possible there are some. This anomally had/has me frustrated, as the control-find problem is happening again, and I am truly puzzled. Any thoughts? Help!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Sample.xlsx (482.3 KB, 8 views)