View Single Post

Old 03-23-2015, 05:27 PM
brandonprint123 brandonprint123 is offline Windows XP Office 2010 32bit
Novice

brandonprint123 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with Passenger Manifests

Hello,

I am new to the forum and relatively inexperienced with Excel. I am making an excel sheet which will serve as a passenger manifest for a transportation company. We operate from Point A to D, and make stops in B and C along the way. We have a list of passenger names for each leg of the trip (i.e. A-B, B-C, C-D), and book 9 passengers per leg. If a passenger books a trip from A - D, he/she must travel through B and C, and thus their name must be indicated on all the lists. I am reaching out to this forum to see if anyone has any ideas on how to automatically input that passenger's name on all the lists when I make an initial booking for the person to travel from A - D... That is to say that when I write his name on the list for A-B and specify that he is going to D, I would like his name to automatically appear on the lists for B-C and C-D. The purpose of this is to prevent overbookings by ensuring that all these 'thru' passengers are accounted for on each list.

An idea I have is to use an IF statement which looks at the destination specified for the first leg of a passenger's booking. If it is for a later point, the IF statement carries the passenger's name down to the list for the next leg. For example, if a person is booked from A - D, and his destination is specified as D on the initial list (A-B), his name is carried over to the next list (B-C), where a similar IF statement will determine if his name should be carried forward to the next list (C-D). Conversely, if he is only booked to point B, then the IF statement will determine that his trip will terminate after the first leg, and will not carry his name forward. I understand how to create that IF statement. What I would like to know is if it is possible to have the IF statement then look at the next list's 9 rows (or cells where the passenger names are listed), and enter the thru passenger's name in the first empty cell? The nature of our booking system is such that on a list of 9 names, #4 may suddenly cancel, leaving an empty cell in the middle of the list; I would like this cell to be automatically filled. Would this require the use of an ISBLANK function, or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance for reading my 'essay' and your help!

Brandon