View Single Post

Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Lynn O'Shea Lynn O'Shea is offline Mac OS X Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
Novice

Lynn O'Shea is on a distinguished road
Default create letter template with fixed position fields and follow up pages

Hello everyone. I need to do something rather obvious, and can't seem to figure it out.

In Publishing Layout mode, I set up a document with various text fields (and some background graphics). Saving and using this as a template works. But I need to fix size and position of these text fields (as well as those of the graphic elements) in the template, allowing to write (and paste images) into the fields once a normal document is created from the template. I don't see how. I recon the latter should be possible when turning text boxes into forms. Unfortunately, Word being a Microsoft product, Help doesn't contain any hint on how that is achieved or what a form might even be. Additionally, I need to lock this background image. Equally, I can't find out how.

Secondly, the template should serve single and multi pages letters. I can create a template with two pages and link the main text field of the first page to the one on the following. It seems that newly added pages in the document that relies on the template will equal the second one. Still this way the user will have to delete the unsused second page when setting up a single page letter, which I think is quite error prone. What I'd like is an intelligent template that knows what the first page looks like, and what to following ones look like—and how the text fields are to be linked—and adds new pages as needed. Since this seems an obvious necessity, I'm sure there is a way to do this. But I can't find it anywhere.

I'll be very thankful for any idea and advice. Thanks a lot in advance