View Single Post

Old 02-11-2015, 03:56 AM
Richard121 Richard121 is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

Richard121 is on a distinguished road
Default Joining two (or more) spreadsheets without use of a 'ghost'

Morning All

I have several Excel 2013 spreadsheets which I need to keep separate. however I wish to cross-reference between them. This is clearly not a problem. Excel is happy to do this.

But only provided I keep them on the same computer/server. If I download the spreadsheets to a stick or email them the link is lost.

For example:
I have an accounting spreadsheet (Accounts) and a contacts spreadsheet (Contacts). When entering the contact reference number is entered in Accounts it populates fields using IndexMatchMatch from Contacts. It does this on the original computer (obviously!), but on the downloaded version Accounts tries to find Contacts by referring back to the original spreadsheet.

Although it behaves as if it is linked it is not because if I alter details on Contacts there is no effect in the Accounts. It is as though Accounts carries a ghost version of Contacts with it.

There is no linking back from Accounts to Contacts.

What I want to do is make them joined/linked/whatever so they act as one when downloaded or emailed. I do not want to add Contacts as a tab on Accounts.

Any ideas?

Richard