View Single Post

Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 AM
TomAsh TomAsh is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2007
Novice

TomAsh is on a distinguished road
Default Using personal files (pst) on laptop and work computer (UTC)

I work for an organisation where I have both a laptop (so I can work from home or remotely at other offices around the country) and, when in my local office, I have access to a networked desktop PC (actually it is an UTC - Ultra Thin Client - basically a desktop PC with all the insides removed that takes my profile directly from the server).

I use MS Outlook 2007 to access work email. These are delivered and saved on an Exchange Server. I have limited space to save these messages, and so I have previously been saving emails to pst files on my laptop hard drive.

Problem is, when I leave my laptop at home, and work from a desktop PC in my local office, I cannot access pst stored emails.

I have recently tried to move all of my pst files from my laptop hard drive to a networked location that I should be able to access from both laptop and desktop PC.

Accessing the emails from my laptop works fine, but not from the desktop PC. I am following the instructions to locate pst files here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291636

Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data files > Add

But there is no pst file specified in the dialogue box that pops up. Under 'types of storage' the only option I get is 'Virtual Vault'.

When I did the same using Outlook on my laptop I had the option to navigate to the network location to locate my pst files and everything worked fine.

I can access/see the pst file on the network for example if I look at Windows Explorer I can navigate to the file easy enough, so I know its there and accessible over the work network. Any help much appreciated.