View Single Post

Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 AM
ragoo ragoo is offline Mac OS X Office for Mac 2011
Novice

ragoo is on a distinguished road
Question trouble setting excel to import correctly into mail merge. Not using typical address fields

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to import information into a Word document using the mail merge tool. I have done this in the past successfully but for some reason it is not working.

I conducted interviews and have the respondents answers in an excel spreadsheet. Down the left column I have the questions they answered typed in. Across the top row I have the individuals name that answered the question. The corrolating cells have their answers. In the past I have been able to do this and then use the mail merge function in Word to important this information so all the recipients answers would show up under the appropriate question. For example:

Why do you think the sky is blue? (excel A2)

Not sure (excel B2)
It has white in it too (excel B3)
Because it goes on forever (excel B4)

For some reason, I cannot get it to work. The mail merge place holder only shows placeholders for across the rows and will not let me choose place holder down the column. So instead I get all the answers and not the question. And I only get one row. It is not importing all the information.

If you understand what I am asking or explaining, can you please offer suggestions?

Thank you.
Rachel