View Single Post

Old 10-06-2014, 02:46 AM
Halesowenmum Halesowenmum is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

Halesowenmum is on a distinguished road
Default Need some urgent condensed Project knowledge!!

Hello all. This is my first post so apologies for coming in kamikaze style with a rather large and pretty broad question!

I've used Project before (on an estates commissioning role). But to be honest I can't say the organisation really used it as a management tool - we kinda updated it after things happened, it certainly wasn't utilised as a predictor of issues, a progress checker or a way of determine how interdependent tasks might affect other things if there was a slip. And I certainly never got into the realms of using it to calculate the finances of the project. So that's the level I used it at. I know that it can be used as a very comprehensive scheduler – no doubt very much needed on larger more complex projects where you simply can’t keep all the dates in your head.

I have an interview tomorrow for my first ever PM job – I’ve done various support roles up til now gaining experience and my agency has now put me forward for this role. So, overnight, I’ve got to produce a presentation that sets out my project working experience and skills (the easy bit), but also to put in there where and how I would use MS Project (to show how much I know about how to use it) so I guess I need to bridge a bit of a gap between my current experience and what this company wants, and show it to them in the presentation.

I guess I’m throwing this open – for those of you actively using it on projects, what would be the features that you’d say you use the most and that I should include in my presentation??

Any thoughts, help or ideas would be most welcome as I have to put something together tonight to show them my scintillating abilities!!!

Thank you.