View Single Post

Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM
JohnFinNC JohnFinNC is offline Windows XP Office 2003
Novice

JohnFinNC is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Paul, for your help from down under. Perhaps, though, for this INCLUDEPICTURE issue, the Coriolis Effect is favorable in Canberra and unfavorable to those of us on the topside of the planet.

You acknowledged that my field code should unlink all the images when the merge is finished. That’s just not happening.

Today, I used this code in each of the 12 cells of the Word template. I did, however, omit the { NEXT } code from the first cell:

{ NEXT }{ IF { INCLUDEPICTURE { IF TRUE "C:\\FPC_Directory\\{ MERGEFIELD FileName }" } \d }{ INCLUDEPICTURE {IF TRUE “C:\\FPC_Directory\\{ MERGEFIELD FileName }” } \d } }
{ MERGEFIELD Description }

I used Ctrl-F9 to create all of the field braces except for those around “MERGEFIELD FileName”. Those braces came along the “Insert Merge Field” pull-down menu.

I click on “Finish and Merge”, then “Edit Individual Documents”, and then “Merge Records All” to create the 19 page pictorial directory showing all desired images.

I then “Select All” (Ctrl+A) and then pressed F9, hoping to unlink, but still keep the images. I saved the file. The resulting file size is 70 KB.

If I remove the “\d” switch and repeat the merge, the saved file is about 24 MB, the same as the total of all of the image files.

I’ve tried this on Word 2003 under Windows XP, and on two different computers running Word 2010 (64-bit) under Windows 7.

I’ve noted two Microsoft web pages dealing with the “\d” switch:

Word 2007:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010263483.aspx

Word 2010 and Word 2013:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...102017478.aspx

I’m pleased to be able to create the church pictorial directory using only Picasa and Microsoft Word. There are many online church directory products, but they have unreasonable constraints on the image aspect ratio, the wording of the “caption” and other details important to our diverse congregation.

John