View Single Post

Old 09-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Carchee Carchee is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Advanced Beginner

Carchee is on a distinguished road
Default Search a cell that contains words and numbers and convert the numbers to metric

I have an equipment list that displays pumps, filters and other equipment for my work. The list gives info like manufacture, model number, flows, head, areas and pipe sizes. The list is given in empirical units (feet, ft^2, inches, gallons, etc.) We create several of these lists everyday and a good majority of them need to be in metric units (meters, m^2, mm, cubic meters, cmh, etc.).

Our way of converting them now is to do it manually, double clicking the cell and entering the conversion. I would like to create code to do this for me, including the converting. I would like the code to look for the GPM or TDH or " (inch) and convert the number just before the units.

I have attached a sample of what the list looks like, C3 shows the original content with empirical units and C4 shows what we would like after the conversion to metric.

Before I write code I would like to know if it's even possible. I'm not sure if it's possible because the flows can range from 2 digits to 5 digits and I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to search a cell for a number that have a different amount of digits. Other number data might be different as well.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx EQUIPMENT LIST CONVERT.xlsx (9.0 KB, 16 views)