View Single Post

Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 PM
DavidA DavidA is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2003
Novice

DavidA is on a distinguished road
Default Spelling check sometimes does not work

I am using Word 2002, it's good enough for me, don't need all the bells and whistles, and Win 7 x64. Word has been working just fine, but yesterday I found that miss-spelled words were not being underlined even though "Check spelling as you type" was selected. I didn't have time to investigate and assumed that it was just a glitch which would be cleared when I re-booted today. It wasn't, same problem. When I clicked on "Check spelling" I got an error message. "Word is unable to find MSSpell3.dll and mssp232.dll" I did a Windows search for the .dlls. Nothing. So I used the setup CD to repair Word. It ran no problem, except that I still had no spell checker, and the missing .dll files were still missing.

At this point I had other things to do, like joining this forum for instance. However, to my surprise when ran Word a minute ago to check on the error message the spelling checker was working normally. I know it's a long-shot, but can anyone think of a reason for this on/off/on spell checker? Where for instance should these .dlls be installed? Could I make copies and slot them in as and when needed?

Any enlightenment much appreciated.

David

Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 07-14-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Mark as solved