View Single Post

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 AM
JimP JimP is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Experienced User

JimP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthoducks View Post
I tried resetting all of the margins to 2 pt, but that didn't make the problem go away. As a cross-check, I tried setting the "Top Margin" of the "Horizontal" connector to 40 pt, and that didn't make the problem appear.

Something else is wrong.
No, nothing else is wrong. I just did it myself and it works as expected (as I indicated in my original response).

Quote:
I appreciate the "Quick Access Toolbar" suggestion, but it really doesn't address the problem. If the overhead of selecting "Rotate Text" were reduced to zero, it wouldn't reduce the work involved in realigning the labels very much at all.
That suggestion was only offered to help you in rotating the text...NOT as a solution for your problem. It simply rotates text in 90 degree increments and requires NO adjustments to your labels.

Quote:
As I said before, I can fix this problem by replacing the misbehaving connectors with new ones if there's no other way to fix it; but I still need to understand what causes it if I'm to prevent it from happening in the future.
That is your best solution...replacing the problem connector. I don't know how you originated the problem so, I would not be able to make you understand...I can only tell what is wrong and how to fix it. Inserting connectors between objects is probably the most simple thing to do in Visio and should only require minimal effort.

Quote:
The following is a secondary issue, but the "Top Margin" setting is a clumsy way of doing what I use it to do, and even though it's not the cause of the alignment problem I'd be happy to learn about an alternative. In my actual drawing the shapes at the ends of the connectors are often inside other shapes, and I must move the label away from the center of the connector to position it roughly in the middle of the space between the outer shapes. At present I must enter a margin value, see the result, enter another one, etc., until the label is roughly where I want it. I'd much rather be able to click and drag the label to the right position on the connector.
You can do that (without entering a magin value) by one of two methods:
(1) Preferred method: Click on the text that you want to relocate to another position. If that text has a small "yellow" diamond-shaped spot amid the text, click on that yellow shape and relocate the text to the desired position; or
(2) Alternative method: From the HOME Ribbon, under the Tools section, click on the icon in the lower right-hand corner (has an "A" with a circular arrow), then click on the text you want relcoated. Move your cursor over the text, click and move.

Hope this helps...