View Single Post

Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM
EC37 EC37 is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Advanced Beginner

EC37 is on a distinguished road

Officially, it works. It also only grouped the first couple of sections at first, to which I then realized I did have some blank cells in Column L (and I shouldn't!). So it helped me clean that column up as well. I filled the cells, and reran it and it worked beautifully to group the sub-phases together. I will make an attempt at grouping the "Phases" for myself and let you know if I run into any problems.

I guess my current struggle is that I have never written code before, so knowing what is a function, what is an object, etc- and actually understanding those definitions are what I need to grasp. I think I need a 'programming for dummies' book- me being the dummy..
Currently, I can look at the code you've written, read your explanations and say 'ok, I understand how to read that code now' - but it's the understanding of how to use it again later if I so choose to write another macro later in life, and being able to understand how and when to use something. Not to mention knowing the language and knowing what I can and can't write for the program to understand. I have a basic understanding that you can basically type anything as long as you define what it is. Although you use 'rz' here, you could technically type 'dog' (it just so happens my dog is sitting next to me..) as long as the definition follows what 'dog' is. Unless there is an underlying rule that says it must be 2 characters in length, therefore using the 3 characters 'dog' wouldn't work (am I right in saying 'you can type anything as long as you define it'?)
Having no prior knowledge of VBA, or writing code (besides tinkering very little with SQL Server..and I do mean, very little), and literally throwing myself into it is difficult, but I am all about simplifying and 'automating' things. Spend the time to do it once, and from then on, click a button. Prior I had the luxury, if you want to call it that, of explaining to someone else what i wanted, and they would write it for me. So it is exciting to attempt these things for myself and also understand, to a degree, what my previous coworkers encountered when performing the background work for me.

Anyhow, just popped on because i saw your post. If i have time today i will work on doing the same for the "Phases" portion. I don't think I'll have a problem, but you never know.

Next up: TextToColumns ?

Thank you!!