View Single Post

Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM
BobBridges BobBridges is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Expert

BobBridges has a spectacular aura aboutBobBridges has a spectacular aura about

I get frustration (really, I do). What I think would be a good compromise is if you try something, and when it doesn't work tell me about that. Then you can either quit, or try something else, whichever you prefer. But if you don't get me (or someone) to explain it, then the frustration just sits there, instead of pushing you through to the victory.

(I think of it as a victory. Maybe "solution" would be a more sedate word. But I exult with Boris, the evil hacker in Goldeneye: "Yes! I am eenVEENcible!!")

Ok, let me back up to an earlier post of yours, timestamped 06-17-2014 01:44 PM:
Quote:
If we are coloring the rows simply on the content of the cells contained in "View Filter" (i.e. Phase, or Sub-Phase), is it really necessary to tell the program where it should stop when coloring the rows? I would imagine once it no longer sees Phase or Sub-Phase, it is no longer trying to color anything.
If you're asking why I'm think it's important to look for the last row, there would seem to be two alternatives:

1) Let the program run until it reaches the end of the worksheet. But that's a million rows, and you would definitely notice the delay while it checked column L of every row until it got to the end (and abended there). Much quicker to give it some sort of stopping point.

2) You could also start at row 2 and keep going until L<row> is empty. That's definitely a possibility, assuming your data won't ever have any blank values in that column. Would you rather go that way? It should work just fine, if you want to see how it's done.

06-17-2014 01:49 PM:
Quote:
...what I'm hoping to do is give it a criteria to use when grouping, rather than providing specific rows.
Of course! Sounds like you're ready to do that next, so I'll go back to your worksheet and figure something out before going over that code you were working on last time.