View Single Post

Old 06-03-2014, 11:59 AM
EC37 EC37 is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Advanced Beginner

EC37 is on a distinguished road
Default Linking between 2 relevant timelines

Hi again.

I have 2 timelines. A main timeline, and, what I refer to as my internal timeline. The Main timeline is our Master list of tasks between our client and us. It's the high level information that we all care about- and also what I export on a weekly basis for review between myself and the client. However, what I care about in addition to that high level timeline- is an internal timeline. A timeline that mirrors tasks on the Main, but only to those that my Team is responsible for.

So, as an example of a task on the Main Timeline, we'll keep it simple: Team Approves Budget Proposal. The team has 5 days to do this and the Start date is 6/2, and the Finish is 6/6.
Now, internally, that task has 3 steps to complete. So, let's say:
Team Reviews Proposal - 2 days - Start 6/2; Finish 6/3.
Team Submits PO Request - 1 day - Start 6/4; End 6/4.
Approval - 1 day - Start 6/5; End 6/5.
We'll have a 1 day cushion in the event review takes longer, the PO submission is delayed, or the approval is delayed.

What I would like to do, is create an internal timeline of the tasks my Team is responsible for (pulled from the Main timeline), list the steps taken to complete those tasks (I envisioned listing steps, and having a summary task that mirrored the task contained on the Main along with its duration/start/finish, and subtasks of the tasks needed to complete), and assign resources to those steps.

I know how to link tasks externally, but doesn't appear you can link a Task as a Summary Task to another project.
I know you can also generate SubProjects that, visually, appear the same as what I described above (a summary task that you can expand to see the steps involved to complete). However, I feel the SubProject idea would overcomplicate things. I would have numerous SubProjects! Plus, the task on the Main Timeline contains links to other tasks, and if that task was actually a 'SubProject', I don't know how the links would work (?).
I know if I went that route, the resources would be fine, because I could always create a Resource Pool that is linked across the main and sub projects.

I could always manage the internal timeline independently from the Main, but I was trying to limit the room for error. If something was delayed and I change the dates to reflect the delay on my internal timeline, and not on the main- it would cause mass confusion with management and our client. Or the other way around!

Your thoughts/suggestions would be great!

Thank you so much!
E