View Single Post

Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 PM
jrasicmark jrasicmark is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Novice

jrasicmark is on a distinguished road
Angry Does Word automatically shrink graphics?

I'm a graphic designer and I normally work in Creative Suite, but a lot of the work I am asked to do will need to be edited by others who don't know CS, so I build them in Word.
So I created a mission statement with the 2 company logos at the top. The graphics for the logos were originally created in Illustrator, but I brought them into Photoshop to re-save them in TIFF format. But our president complains that they look blurry and/or bitmappy when he looks at them in Word.
I researched it, and found on Microsoft's site that Word automatically compresses graphics when you save it. It said I could fix it, but I have to replace the graphics and re-save it while changing the compression settings.
So, before I replaced the graphics, I tried to be sure to make them the exact size that I need them to be in Illustrator. The space I want them to fit in is 1.25" deep, so I made sure I saved them in Illustrator in that size, saved them as PDFs, then opened the PDFs in Photoshop and re-saved them as 300 dpi TIFFs.
When I brought the first logo into Word it was about half the size I wanted!
Does Word automatically shrink graphics? How can I stop it from doing that? If I have to enlarge the logo, I'm afraid the quality will drop.