View Single Post

Old 04-26-2014, 07:22 PM
jsuebersax jsuebersax is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2013
Novice

jsuebersax is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spellchecker not replacing all instances

Okay, I think I figured out what the problem is, although not how to solve it directly.

It seems that when you choose "Change All" in the spell-checker, the only thing it immediately changes is the present instance of the misspelled word. It remembers what you want, however, and as you proceed through the spell-checking process, each time it encounters the misspelled word again it changes it automatically. However, if you were to save the file and exit Word before spell-checking the whole document, between the point where you stopped the spell-check and the end of the document any instances of the misspelled word would remain unchanged.

This is a problem if you have a large document with hundreds of misspelled words, such that to try to spell check the whole thing in one sitting is an ordeal. You have to spell-check the entire document in one session, like it or not.

This is a nuisance! My proposed workaround is to write a VBA macro that will fix the spelling errors using repeated calls to the Replace function, based on a list of incorrect and correct spellings that I supply.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. Otherwise I'll post the macro here when it's written.

John