View Single Post

Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Here is a screenshot and the sample document. Look first at the screenshot. The document is set to show hidden, non-printing characters, including hidden text. In print preview the only thing that would show up would be the first macrobutton prompt.

This document is protected from any editing except that typing/editing is allowed for everyone in certain areas. In this case, in the content controls and in the MacroButton Field Prompts.

The first two rows of labels use Content Controls. Unless something is typed in them, nothing will print. The prompt shows up when the content control is activated (clicked in). If someone tries to type elsewhere, they will not be allowed to do so and the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane will show up. In this case, I have the option checked to highlight next area for typing.

The next row has three MacroButton Field prompts. The first one is not hidden, the next two are hidden (but with hidden text being displayed). Note that the Content Control was able to have a longer prompt than was the MacroButton field! When the document has editing restricted this way, the tab key moves to the next place the user can type rather than to the next cell. Again this type of protection is not available in earlier versions of Word.

Note that the macrobutton prompts are in bold blue text. When someone types in them, the text will be whatever style and color is in use in the table cell, not the bold blue text. That formatting is applied only to the prompt part of the field. The second two fields also have the font formatting of hidden applied only to the prompt. Thus when someone types in them, the typed text is not hidden. I developed that Add-In just so I could easily have the prompts stand out but not stand out after they had been used; it does this automatically and even gives a choice of colors. (It doesn't do hidden text though.)

See my next post for some design considerations.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2010ContentControls&MacroButtonFieldPrompts.png (44.5 KB, 24 views)
Attached Files
File Type: docx deleteme Mailing Labels.docx (28.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 03-27-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Add explanatory text