View Single Post

Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Ulodesk Ulodesk is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Word 2013 Expert Cert

Ulodesk is on a distinguished road
Default Definite progress, but more trouble

Thank you very much, Paul. I have studied the complex field you returned, found the advanced document properties, and have successfully changed the value of the custom property as well as the source document; that is, I know how now. I have learned a good deal in the process and I am very grateful! But still stuck.

What I am now stumped on is how to use this with a checkbox. I am attaching a copy of the document you provided, with a better indication of what I would like to end up with, in case I have not communicated this aspect clearly. A corresponding source doc (Text1) is also attached.

I have cast it in terms of computer help desk sorts of issues, with two examples and the rest left as generic labels. I have set this up in a table in the target doc; I believe tables cause no problems in this regard but can lay out the page otherwise. The idea is simply that on page one, I have a list of issues I recognize by a label. The source document contains the solutions to every issue, each one separately bookmarked.

Let's say, for example, that I have a client who needs solutions for issues 1,4,7, and 13. I open my target doc, and as I check the relevant check boxes, those selected solutions are brought in on page two, which I then print out and hand to my client. That's the principle.

I remain confused about how this would work in your plan. In your early response above, you said

Quote:
Personally, I'd have the INCLUDETEXT fields in the document already, and use a DOCPROPERTY field to return a value from a custom document property to determine the output. If the source documents have two bookmarked ranges - one containing the TRUE content and the other containing the FALSE content - all that is needed is to toggle the bookmark reference. For example:
{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Users\\Genius\\Desktop\\Text1.docx" "{DOCPROPERTY BkMk}"}
I can find "toggle field codes" but not "toggle bookmark references". Also, I have trouble translating that to what you have provided. True and False, I guess would correspond to checked and unchecked, respectively? Or,would I make, perhaps, two bookmarks in the source doc for each solution, the first with the solution, the second an empty paragraph, and the empty para would correspond to the unchecked box, the solution to the checked box. I can't figure that one out, because I have to manually change the custom document property value; so, even if I created 20 custom document properties to refer to 20 bookmarked solutions, changing each would still be manual. Obviously, there's something else.

The Graham Mayor page I had lost, that goes through his solution, is here: http://www.gmayor.com/selectfile.htm About halfway down the page, where it says INCLUDETEXT field.

His uses a macro, which he provides, on exit from checking a box to insert the desired text at a bookmark. Presumably the bookmark stays empty until a box is checked. Though I haven't gotten there yet, I would think that then I could create macro to delete any empty paragraphs or something like that, to avoid extra space between solution paragraphs for the printed copy.

Paul, I'm not trying to suggest reversion to an approach you have replaced; I just don't grasp the connections here. I had no idea this would require so much time.

Cordially,
Philip
Attached Files
File Type: docx Form page with more indicators.docx (30.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: docx Text1.docx (18.2 KB, 10 views)