View Single Post

Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Ulodesk Ulodesk is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Word 2013 Expert Cert

Ulodesk is on a distinguished road

Gents,
I am back again, having failed to find any tutorials addressing my issue, and being unable to understand your instructions, due to my lack of knowledge of fields. There must be somewhere to learn about this, but I have been unable in hours of searching to find it. I meant to check the local (real) library tonight for a copy of a recent Office Bible, but didn't make it. Again, if you have links to the information I need, I am glad to do my own homework.

That said, I am attaching a source and a target document, the latter with notes about its content. The source is "Text1", the target is "Form page". I explain their location on my machine, below. I haven’t even gotten to trying the checkbox, as explained in my original post, again. I am simply trying to get an INCLUDETEXT field to work with a bookmark. I have not found a single source among pages of searches that explains how the bookmark is to be included.

The source and target docs reside in the same folder on my desktop. By using Word's Insert/QuickParts/Field, I finally got a field that would bring in the text from the source. All the text. However, as you'll see in the source doc, I have created two bookmarks: Check1 comprising the first two paragraphs, Check2 the empty paragraph which follows. The final paragraph is not bookmarked. The Check1 and 2 would presumably correspond to a checked and unchecked legacy form tools check box, respectively — when I get that far. Meanwhile, I cannot find a way to include the name Check1 in the INCLUDETEXT field and get it to work, i.e., to bring in only the bookmarked text. At one point, I managed to include it and the field worked, rahter than returning an "invalid filename" message, but it ignored the bookmark and simply brought in all the text from the source as if it had not been there at all. I have been simply typing the name Check1 in the field, for instance:

Code:
{ INCLUDETEXT  "Text1.docx"  Check1 }
Paul has said that the source document would need to have a custom document property created in it. Maybe I just need a course in web searches; I don’t usually have this much trouble expanding my knowledge of Word. I found one source allegedly specific to Word 2013—with illustrations from 2007. I cannot for the life of me find where or how to create a custom document property in 2013 -- nowhere in File/Info or Document Panel, which offers only Standard Properties as a category in the drop-down -- nor have I been able to find even meaningful text discussing custom document properties (I understand normal ones such as author, word count, etc., in principle at least) and how to create one. In the fields list, there is a DocProperty, of course, but nothing called Custom or with either of the names Paul gave. So, I'm afraid that even if I did find instructions on where this command/link/dialogue is, I wouldn’t know how to proceed to implement your kind advice.

I apologize for belaboring this. It is perhaps an attempt to say, I'm not a complete incompetent at Word, and this surely is not a complex issue, but it surely has me baffled!

Cordially,
Philip
Attached Files
File Type: docx Form page.docx (25.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: docx Text1.docx (17.4 KB, 10 views)