Thread: [Solved] Stop Automatic Date-Update
View Single Post

Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Basic answer: No.

If a date updates, it is because it is a field.
Using Date Fields in Microsoft Word

For your own documents, you may be able to recover the original date by changing it to a CreateDate field (from a Date field). Such fields in any templates you use should be changed to a CreateDate field. Documents created using the template will then have the date the document is created.

For documents you receive from others, you can try it. It may give you the original creation date. I've tried it on documents I've received and the date given predates the Windows creation date shown on my computer.

Problems like this are one of the reasons for saving historical documents as pdf rather than as Word files.