View Single Post

Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM
SomewhereinTX SomewhereinTX is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Novice

SomewhereinTX is on a distinguished road
Default Firm constraints wouldn't keep the date fixed?

Hello All,

Same project, same schedule in MSP that I was inquiring about before... To recall, this is a schedule that's been updated by our local team in another country and is sent to me weekly to produce progress reports.

First 25 lines or so are all milestones acting as a de facto high level summary of the schedule. It was created mainly for the management so when they look at it, they can easily take it all in, without going through other 300+ lines.

Against my ongoing pleas, the local project team puts constraints (Start No Earlier Than) on all the milestone tasks, both in the "summary" and the rest of the schedule. The summary tasks and the corresponding schedule tasks are connected via predecessor/successor relationships.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that last time when I got the updated file from them, updated the project status date (for whatever reasons the local team can't get this function to work so I do it form here), and hit Update Project (Re-schedule uncompleted work after ../..), MSP re-calculated future start-finish dates for the milestones correctly (in my opinion! ) by pushing them out (as the project is delayed). Which means the constraints (SNET) didn't work! I was just wondering why this could happen...as the whole point of firm constraints is to keep the date fixed.

Many thanks.