View Single Post

Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM
jqavins jqavins is offline Windows XP Office 2003
Novice

jqavins is on a distinguished road
Default How Can I Use a Page Number in a Table Header Row

This will sound rather convoluted, and probably atract lots of "you don't need to do that, just do this..." sorts of replies, but trust me, I have my reasons, convoluted though they may be.

I want to place a page number field (actually, a computed page number a-la Mr. Kenyon's fine example here) in a table cell, then have that cell's row repeated as a header row, and have the page number computed independantly on each page. I tried placing a simple page number in a cell then repeating the row, and I only get the page number of the first instance on all pages (which came as no surprise.)

The reason I need this follows:

I am producing a document for a customer that includes several long tables that each spread across many pages. The requirements are:
  • The customer requires "Page n of m" in the table header.
  • My company requires "Page x of y" in the footer.
  • My company allows only a particular prescribed header.
    • This prevents me using the document header for the table page numbering.
Separate and simultaneous page numbering by section and document is tricky enough, but that has been solved. (See the link above. MS really should add {DocPage} and {SectionPage} fields; {Page} could continue to work as it always has and the new fields would make life easier in more complicated situations. But I digress.) Now I just need to do that within a table's repeated row and all will be well.

The present solution, implemented by my predecessor, is to make each page of the document's table a completely separate Word table, with the page numbering information typed mannually into the otherwise identical first row on each page. The disadvantages of this are legion, but I am at a loss for how to do it better.