Thread: [Solved] Excel Auto-fill Issues
View Single Post

Old 01-08-2014, 03:02 PM
SteveWcg SteveWcg is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

SteveWcg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeboy09 View Post
After you entered the range A1:A30, and then press Enter, the chosen range is highlighted, but only A1 is selected and displayed in the Name box.
Yes A1 is selected and displayed after typing a1:a30 in name box, Ta Pecoflyer that's something new for me, as that's where you type the formula. Then CTRL-Enter fills the formula to the selected cells.

Not sure how that would work for an autofill that isn't a formula, ie fill A1=1 A2=2 to a30

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeboy09 View Post
My 2nd statement means only the date formats that are marked * can auto-switch from one month to the next.
I don't know what version of excel you're on but *Dates are used to translate to a new locale.
Typing 1/1 or 31-Jan or 1/1/14 and then 2/1 (as per original) will autofill when the handle is dragged or you use CTRL-downarrow.

I've only ever seen the problem with filling dates in any format when you've pasted or imported the dates and Excel is confused about the format. Format cells and selecting dd/mm or dd/mmm/yy ofn doesn't work. Best way I've found to get Excel unconfused is to
1. select the text to be filled and then paste values or
2. select the Use Text wizard option when you paste.
3. Sometimes the Error box allows changing to dates but that's usually for numbers stored as text.