View Single Post

Old 12-05-2013, 12:04 PM
spthomas spthomas is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

spthomas is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all this. This will work for me now and going forward I think.

Just for my education, here are the basic steps I took that I thought would produce a good document. Can you see where I'm going wrong?

1. I created the template. I took the Normal template, and made some changes to the styles and created the List Style named "Headings". Then I put the one's I was using (Headings 1-4, List Bullet, and a few others) In the Quick Style Toolbar. Then I saved it as a template named Steve Standards Doc Template.Dotx.

2. I opened the document, and applied the template by Clicking Developer-Document Template-browsed to the template-Automatically Update Document Styles. Then went back and unchecked Automatically Update Document styles.

3. Click in the document, click the TITLE Style from the Quick Style Toolbar, And type the title.
4. Hit return, select Heading1, and type the text.
5. Hit return, and type the text for that Heading, and clicked Normal.
6. Usually after that there is a Heading2, so I hit return, Heading2 style, and type the heading. For Headings 2-4, I have the heading and start the text on the same line and I want the same indent, I highlighted the portion that is just text for the rest of the paragraph, and clicked on a style I created at that indent level called Heading2 Text.
7. And on and on. Basically, hit return, click the Heading (1,2,3,etc) style, type the heading and the text for that heading, then highlight the text and click Headingx Text.

Usually the numbering is fine (I have it all in the Headings List Style). Sometimes I've had to click on the Headings style in the multi level list drop down. And there are still numbering anomalies, like it skips a number in sequence).

From this is there something I'm doing real wrong? I read the late Shauna Kelley's webpages (some more than once) and I thought this is how she said to do it.

Thanks again.

Steve