View Single Post

Old 12-04-2013, 03:03 PM
jec1 jec1 is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2013
Advanced Beginner

jec1 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Sorry it sounded intense. What you see as a great working document I see as a messy formatted document without a template.

You didn't need List Numbering you can use the Outline Headings 1-9 and 9 is still empty.

1. The tracking issue I ignored.
2. I created a .dotx template but left in your text (text should be removed) and template resaved.
3. I created a File New document and saved it with a new name which is the working document from the template.
4. I put in a TOC using Headings and LinkedParagraphCharacter styles.
5. I created a set of styles that copes with the document format you uploaded.
6. You can assign shortcut keys to styles I have assigned some which you can use or remove.
7. I have put in page numbering and set your template to US language Letter paper size as your original template used.
8. Creating a working template is complicated - there are Themes with fonts and colours which I have used and styles for all the components of the document to be created.
9. I have added to the QAT a classic style dropdown menu which shows you the style currently in use.

The shortcut keys for applying the TOC headings are:

Heading 3 Blue = Ctrl Shift B
Heading 4 Blue = Alt B

1. You press keys Alt 3 and heading 3 number invokes.
2. Then you press Ctrl Shift B to invoke Heading 3 Blue (TOC heading style) and type your heading
3. Then you press Ctrl Spacebar to break out of the Heading 3 Blue style and continue typing your text in Heading 3 body text style.

Same goes for applying Heading 4.

1. You press keys Alt 4 and Heading 4 number invokes.
2. Then you press Alt B to invoke Heading 4 Blue (TOC heading style) and type your heading
3. Then you press Ctrl Spacebar to break out of Heading 4 Blue style and continue typing your text in Heading 4 body text style.

Shortcut key for Italics = Ctrl I (I Ctrl I style). If you need to type italics as in your text below (ignore Bold) you press Ctrl I and italic style is invoked and you type your text as below:

1. The standards for dimensional model are well known, and closely follow the Kimball method as defined in The Data Warehouse Toolkit, 3rd Ed. (Ralph Kimball & Margy Ross — July 1, 2013 John Wiley & Sons)

If you press Ctrl B to assign bold the Strong style is invoked. To break out of the Italic style press Ctrl Spacebar and you can continue to type in the heading level or body text level you are in.

Document formatting is intense but didn't mean to scare you.

There is lots of reading you can do and Shauna Kelly's website is excellent.

You did say you wanted a base template you now have one - just remove the text on the .dotx Word document and use the .docx document as your working document (File New from template).

Any questions do ask.

Regards
janinecrutch.com

Last edited by jec1; 12-04-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: more instructions