View Single Post

Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 AM
infobleep infobleep is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice

infobleep is on a distinguished road
Default How does one receive e-mail notifications at set intervals?

Hi there

Until recently I had been using notifications in Outlook 2007. However it is bombarding me with too many e-mails every 5 minutes and distracting me.

I am aware there is no way of allowing notifications to only appear at set times. The same applies to desktop alerts. It's either you must have everything as soon as possible or we will allow you to have nothing.

Perhaps Microsoft doesn't do flexible working or may be there is away I have missed.

I then tried going into offline mode and seeing if I could use the send/receive function. However I could not find away to set send and receive to run at set intervals. I need this because if I don't, I will forget to check my e-mails from time to time, which I do need to do, despite not wanting notifications every moment a new e-mail arrives. I did come across a VBA timer script but I couldn't get it to work as my VBA knowledge is too basic and I don't have days to spend learning it.

The other problem is that at work we use an exchange server and the only way I'm allowed back online is to restart Outlook 2007. Wonderful. Again not very flexible from Microsoft. To be fair I was only trying offline mode to get around my above problems so there could be good reasons for not allowing users to go back online without restarting.

I'm aware one can press F9 to bring up the send/receive but the problem I have with that is that it conflicts with another program I use, ClaroRead Pro, and the company have told me there isn't enough interest from other users in offering customised shortcut keys so they have no plans to offer it.

I also came across a send/receive all script but it only got as far as opening the menu. Not sure why but it might be because I was in offline mode. My VBA skills are too limited to look into it further.

So if anyone has any helpful suggestions then please reply. If you answer is your asking for the impossible then also reply because it would be useful to know if I'm demanding too much from a Microsoft produced product.

Thanks for reading