View Single Post

Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
wornways wornways is offline Windows Vista Office 2007
Novice

wornways is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzyva57 View Post
[b]I would check first to see how you are initially Saving your documents:

What do you see THE FIRST TIME YOU (SAVE) when you click Save As, checking what you have in in Save As Type: <Document Type> as opposed to just Save

I am wondering if you are NOT each time you are Saving, you are saving as Template
Hi zyzzyva,

First question: I save the initial document simply by using Cntrl+S, or Save. Since the document that's initially opened is a template, doing a Save is the same as doing a Save As. There aren't any problems here. This works fine.

After the document is saved, every time it's opened again, the behaviors I've described above ensue. Some of these documents are opened and worked on time and again for several months--so you can imagine the annoyance.

Second question: I'll tell you what I see the first time I use Save As upon reopening the document saved from the template, but we don't want to Save As every time we reopen our documents because we would end up with a proliferation of duplicate files that would become impossible to manage.

I just tried it--I get the same "Do you also want to save changes to the document template?" harassalog after using the Save As dialog to name and save the duplicate file.

I am definitely not saving the xxx.doTx file as another xxx.dotx file. When I open the xxx.doTx file, I open it with a double-click, and right away, before even entering content, do a Cntrl+S, at which point I'm presented with the Save As dialog, which saves the new file as yyy.doCx. As I said before, there is no problem with this process, and we're not bothered with any template related harassalogs.

It is only when yyy.doCx is reopened that the behaviors I originally described ensue, whether or not changes are made.

Our entire office is desperate to find a permanent solution to this problem aside from migrating to Open Office (I've checked and none of these template related problems occur in Open Office).