View Single Post

Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 PM
othromas othromas is offline Mac OS X Office for Mac 2011
Novice

othromas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom View Post
What isn't working as you expected? Paragraph formatting, such as line spacing and spacing before/after will be shared by both paragraphs (if that's what you're asking).

Style separators must be added manually, yes. I suspect documents would be impossible to edit if separators could be added automatically...

You'll find working with separators easier if you display nonprinting marks, for example by clicking the ¶ button on the ribbon (I'm assuming that MacWord has the ribbon interface, but I don't know if that is true). Style separators look like paragraph marks (¶) surrounded by a dotted line.
I only played with the style separator briefly but it appeared to invert my intention (make the second sentence bold and first sentence regular) any time I selected text close to the end of the first sentence. I didn't have the nonprinting marks displayed so it's possible I broke something with the style separator. I'm concerned that the style separator is going to be too fragile for the kind of beating this file is going to get from my colleagues.

Ideally I'd like someone to look at the file I'm trying to format so you can get an idea what I'm trying to do and so I don't have to drop everything when some fiddly formatting issue breaks. I've been having other, unrelated issues recently (inappropriate page breaks if paragraphs get too long, unexpected formatting changes when new text is added to a previously formatted filler paragraph, etc.).