View Single Post

Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
billzinn billzinn is offline Windows 7 Office 2007
Novice

billzinn is on a distinguished road
Default MS Update UN-INSTALLED my O2K7!!!

So here I am FINALLY completing my Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) / Office 2007 Enterprise installations on my new office PC (Quad core /Q9550 with 8 GB of RAM, 500 GB SATA disk, yadda-yadda-yadda...). What a machine!!, I think to myself... even if it IS a Sunday and I'm at the office.
But, heck, I'm just flying along.... happy as a clam...
Windows 7 is 'rockin'.... EVERYTHING is 'peachy"... but, wait a minute... what's this?
Oh - I get a message saying update has to install like 29 updates for Office 2007. OK, so I examine the updates and -"sure" I say to myself - it's just the O2K7 SP2 stuff ... and some 'security updates' and the like.
Sure go ahead... And when it's complete it says I have to 'reboot'.
Not unexpected... been there - done that before on my 'old' PC.
Go ahead...
BUT... when Windows reboots, it says it can't start - going thru some 'repairs (???!) .... and it takes like eight minutes for it to accomplish that and it boots up into Windows, finally.
But hold on, here... my desktop icons for Word and Adobe Acrobat (which I always pin to the taskbar and such) are 'gone'. (???!) Hmmm, that's curious...(I had installed them both - one after the other - prior to this 'issue).
So I look in "All Programs"... the heck you say... no Office - no Adobe Acrobat. I have to RE-install both of these programs again! What the *%$#!!??
SO - I do that... And now suddenly it has to 're-activate' Office again? HELLO?! Uh -guys? ... uh, what the heck?!
Now... does that mean that this is now two of my EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE Office Enterprise licenses that are now 'used'!?!??
This is NOT COOL guys... I pay a BOATLOAD of money for this software and I get two licenses 'used up' for ONE valid installation?
Not cool.... not cool at all....