View Single Post

Old 10-25-2013, 03:28 PM
C J Squibb C J Squibb is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

C J Squibb is on a distinguished road

Bob: Thanks for getting back to me on this.

In Excel 2007, and more so in 2010, tables have undergone some very interesting developments. Prior to v2007, a table was pretty much a named range, formatted in a cohesive manner. I seldom used them, finding that I had much more control if I did my own formatting.

But with v2010 there has been a great deal of improvement, making it (theoretically) easier to identify and work with headers, the Total row, the data area and the separate fields (columns). The table automatically extends when you add new data, and its range name adjusts accordingly - even if data is added below the table. Filtering is very powerful and offers many options. If you insert a row, formulae are automatically added where necessary. I have come to find tables both attractive and useful.

It is also possible to have two tables side-by-side and to add or delete rows from one without affecting the other. If you right-click on a cell or range within a table, there are options to "Insert table rows above" or "Delete table rows".

These tables do seem to have a lot of new syntax, and it's very hard to track down among all the other stuff on the Internet. I have found a good starting point here: http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/Excel2007TablesVBA.asp

In my case, I don't have tables side-by-side so I could use worksheet row additions, and probably will go back to that. But in some cases working with the table really simplifies matters, and I was just trying to find a way of using the new functionality efficiently.

It's just annoying that having found the syntax to add table rows (ListRows.Add as in my original post) it doesn't behave sensibly - just adds a row and stops running the code.

Ho hum.