View Single Post

Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 AM
laura@knott laura@knott is offline Windows XP Office 2010 64bit
Novice

laura@knott is on a distinguished road
Red face Thank you!!

Thank you so much! It took a while messing around with the various different options, but '6. Automatic User Prompts' was the most helpful. I had to tweak it still, but it worked. It's taken me weeks of messing around with Word but I realized that the problem ended up being that I needed to uncheck the 'Update fields' option in the print menu.

For anyone else that's been trying to do this here's what I did:

Open a word document. Select options. Select Advanced. Scroll down until you see 'Show Document Content'. Click the boxes 'Show Bookmarks' and 'Show Field Codes instead of their values' and then select 'Always'. Also, make sure the Printer has the 'Update Fields' option off.

Next, Select the Insert tab. Then select 'Quick Parts', 'Field', 'Fillin' fill in the prompt with whatever question or prompt you want. Select 'Prompt before merging bookmark text'. Push okay.

Next, highlight the fillin code. Go to Bookmarks select a name for it, i.e. 'Boys'. Then add it. Next select 'Cross reference' and select the bookmark you just made 'Boys'. Do this over and over wherever you want it in the document.

Then go back into options and uncheck the 'Show Bookmarks' and 'Show field codes'. I find that it makes testing the document that much easier if you can see the entered content instead of their codes.

Lastly, select 'Save As' and save the word document as a template. Voila you're all set.

Thank you again!!