View Single Post

Old 10-02-2013, 04:04 AM
GracieB GracieB is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

GracieB is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Pasting tables from Excel 2010 into Word 2010 - How to fix column widths?

Hi there,

Sorry if this seems a basic question, but I have an issue which is driving me nuts, and I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer.

At work, I regularly copy a table from an Excel spreadsheet to a Word document; the spreadsheet is always the same format, as each is a copy of the same original file - likewise with the Word document. But, Word always pastes the table in with different column widths each time - even if I paste in different sections of one worksheet of the same Excel file. I can't understand why it chooses these arbitrary column widths!

What I would like to do is set up Word/Office so that whenever I paste an Excel table into a document, it will paste it in with fixed column widths that I determine. I did try having the 'first line' of the table permanently in the document, but unfortunately the tables I am pasting have some formatting that doesn't copy across properly if I do it this way.

It would also be great if it would paste with a specified borders setting (I use Grid), rather than copying any missing borders from the Excel original.

I have attached a document showing what happens when I copy 2 sections of one table into the document (I've disguised it, as this is what I do at work, but it gives the general idea).

Please, can anyone help? I do this thing every day at work, and every time, I have to resize the columns by hand!

Thanks,

GracieB
Attached Files
File Type: docx Test table.docx (15.6 KB, 11 views)