View Single Post

Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 AM
MikeyChris MikeyChris is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

MikeyChris is on a distinguished road
Default Office 2013 install issues

Yesterday i received my MS Office Pro 2013 Product Key, and logged in to the office.com/getoffice web site to download the software. From what I had read, I was expecting to be given teh option of downloading either the 64 bit or the 32 bit version, but if that option was there, I missed it.

The next surprise was that once the download was complete, I found I had a setup file on my desktop. I thought this program was like a download manager since it downloaded very rapidly (i.e. it was small in size). I clicked it thinking I was downloading the install program to me computer (I was not ready to do an install as I wanted to purge my system of previous versions of Office). In short order the install was over 1/2 way complete and I was afraid to stop it in fear something bad would happen. So now I have three versions of Office on my system - the remains of a free trial version that came on the computer, the 2010 version I purchased on discs and installed, and 2013.

The only issue i have found so far is that Excel 2013 won't open a file when I click the short cut or file (but will open the same file from within the Excel program or if I "Open With Excel 2010").

So, if I purge my system of ALL versions of Office and start over from scratch with 2013, do I run into activation issues? When I uninstall 2013 does it let MS know this via the internet so their database can reflect it?

Also, somehow I ended up with the 64 bit version - I think. How can I check? Since the program files are all in the \Program Files\ Folder (rather than the x86 folder) I am thinking I have the 64 bit version, which I don't want. Please NOTE: the SETUP file has x86 in the file name FWIW.

Thanx.